Since retiring from employment in 1999, he has been involved in the voluntary sector. He has continuously been involved ever since.
He Joined SSAFA Forces Help as a case worker and after 5 months became Branch Secretary/Manager of the Gwent Branch, a post he held for 4 years, this entailed controlling the Newport, Caerphilly, Torfaen, Blaenau Gwent, Abergavenny and Chepstow divisions.
There are many other voluntary groups that he is actively involved with. These are:
- Newport Access Group (Chairman)
- Carers Contact, Newport Indoor Market
- Gwent Association of Voluntary Organisations - Executive Committee, Newport Local Committee
- Newport Voluntary Sector Forum
- Newport Voluntary Sector Liaison Committee
- Newport Senior Citizens Forum
- Duffryn Community Link - Trustee
- Tredegar Park Ward Partnership Board
- Chair of Health and Social Well Being sub-group
- Local Health Board Patient’s Panel
- Newport Disability Coalition
- Friends of Tredegar House
- Friends of Newport Transport Bridge